Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Real Storyboard for Mystery Science Theater 3000 (From Another Universe)

I, like a lot of people, love Mystery Science Theater 3000. I was 15 when it was cancelled in 1999, and while I didn't exactly cry, I was sad to see it go. At the same time, let's be fair. It's not like no one saw it coming. It's a show of 2 hour long episodes, each of which required long and expensive copyright negotiations just to be filmed. The fact that it lasted for 11 whole years is amazing in and of itself.

At the same time, I feel like the show is a product of its time. It was first created in 1988, but ran until 1999, so I feel it's really a product of the 90s. That's part of why I love it, I loved the 90s, but at the same time I recognize that society has changed a lot since then. Somewhere in the 2000s we dragged subtlety into the street and executed it, gangland style, while it begged for us to please, please don't do this, please I have kids!

The point is, whether you think we've lowered the bar, dumbed everything down, or just plain screwed everything right the Hell up, we can all agree that what we expect from our entertainment has definitely changed a lot since the 90s.

So, what would MST3K look like if it was made today, by the average television writer of today? You may remember some time ago, I was able to use an screaming rip in space and time to bring you a letter to Cave Story designer Daisuke Amaya from another universe. Well, that rift has since collapsed into a black hole that has swallowed most of Arkansas, but it also allowed me to find another artifact from the same universe. As near as I can tell, this is part of a storyboard for that universe's version of Mystery Science Theater 3000, created in the year 2011. Enjoy!

No comments: